Friday 5 September 2014

THE FIRST DAY!

Finally… we get to find out how our fab five new Year Seven/S1 readers manage on their very FIRST day at their new secondary schools!
Sophie says:
On my first day I met two new girls who looked like they were into the same stuff as me. One, Aideen, has blue hair so I knew she was OK; the other, Amy, had a Linkin Park school bag and I like that band so we began to chat about music, bands etc. I took a packed lunch like I used to in primary because I only like certain foods, but I have a pin number for the cafeteria and I am going to try some of their food soon. Some friends from my old school are in my classes, but I am happy making new friends too… there are 1,500 pupils here and the school is only three years old and the departments are amazing. There are hundreds of guitars in the music department! I am really enjoying it - and the bonus is that so far, the work doesn't seem too hard!

Carys says:
I had my first day in secondary today… it was the BEST day of my life!!! I loved every minute, from getting on the bus first thing this morning to getting off it again this afternoon. When we arrived, we had to go to our form rooms where we were given our contact books (our teacher said it will be like our bible for the next seven years!). Then we had a break and went to the cafeteria - I had a hotdog! We went back to class and then it was double games, but because we didn't have our kit with us we just sat and had a chat. After lunch it was double Welsh and we got our first piece of homework, which was amazing - our teacher is really nice, even though she did give us homework! It has been a great day and I can't wait to see my new friends again tomorrow.

Emma says:
OK… so I have just returned from my first day at my new school, and it was just FANTASTIC! I was super-nervous to begin with, but as soon as I got settled in my form class, the nerves calmed down and excitement followed! We got our timetables, with lots of different lessons with different teachers - it's all very different from primary, but I think I will get the hang of it. I had a great time setting up the iPads for homework… all in all, it was such a fun day. The only downer was that everyone had to do a test first thing to ensure we were placed in the right classes… that was not my favourite bit! After that, though, everything went well… a brilliant day, one of the best!
Pippa says:
In the run up to my first day, I found myself more and more excited about starting my new school. When I arrived, I talked to lots of my friends and wandered over to my new tutor room. They were obviously trying to be quite nice to us on our first day, as it was all pretty chilled! The thing I was most nervous about was performing the play we'd produced at the summer school they ran through the holidays, in front of the whole of Year Seven… but actually, it was really good! I made a lot of new friends today, too! Funnily, I am really anxious about going again tomorrow as that's when 'real' school starts… science period one, double DT period two and three and maths in period four. Also, the whole school will be attending tomorrow… today it was only Years Seven and Eleven. So, still nervous, but… I can't wait!

Imy says:
This week has been a bit crazy - I broke my finger on Sunday while I was on the trampoline so I've been up and down to hospital most of the week, and it's very painful. I can't write very well - not good timing, just three days before my first day at school! Anyway, today was the big day and it was good… everyone was very friendly. We had an assembly first thing and learned all the rules. My sister is a prefect so she went in early to help me find my way around. My form tutor is really nice, and it was her first day too - she is head of MFL (Modern Foreign Languages!) In my form there are three other Year Sevens and we had a quiz to get to know each other - one of the questions was, 'What colour is your toothbrush'! It was easier making friends than I thought and the quiz was a great way to get chatting. I think I'm going to like it! Luckily I don't have homework tonight because I am so, SO tired… I haven't been seeping properly because of my finger and I couldn't wait to get into my PJs tonight!

Cathy says:
Wow! Every one of our five new school starters has loved her first day… and is looking forward to the term ahead! We'll be checking in on everyone again at half term to see how they've been getting on, but meanwhile you can COMMENT BELOW to wish the girls luck for the brand new term or share YOUR new school experiences!



38 comments:

  1. Omg started grammar school on Monday and at the minute I'm off school sick...huge bummer!!! Cause I came from a school of about 50 pupils it is very overwhelming and hard to take in.... my school is called Aussumption Grammer ballynahinch and if u check it out on google I am on the 16th photo with my mum if u click on the thing below the main picture u can see me!! Wish me well soon!!
    Love Deirbhile xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck I joined high school last yr and its really fun making friends! I'm sure u'll make loads of friends. Have a fun time! Hamdi:)xxx

      Delete
    2. Aw you and your mother look lovely Deirbhile. :)
      I really like your name. It sounds so exotic!
      Maya (but you can call me May May! )

      Delete
    3. Deirbhile, I think I saw u and ur mum u I agree with maya u two both look so lovely. Hamdi:)xxx

      Delete
  2. By the way I am writing this in bed.....ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. get well soon too! Hamdi:)xxx

      Delete
    2. aww sounds like u guys above had so much fun! I joined high school last yr and have had an epic time so far! The best thing is probs making friends and most of my friends at school now r friends from high school when i started! Get well soon imy! Hamdi:)xxx

      Delete
  3. I hope everyone had fun! For me, intermediate wasn't a very good time, but looks like you will all have an amazing time! :) Maya xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey cathy how can I do something like this on dreamcatcher, like be like manda or these girls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Message me via the Facebook fanpage or email me via the 'email Cathy' link on www.cathycassidy.com
      xxx

      Delete
    2. Hey, I emailed you about it with my idea and could you please check it, it's quite important!
      If you decide to do this, I would love to run it, you know, organise everything for my idea.
      May xxx

      Delete
  5. I had loads of friends in last years primary 7 now there gone to secondary and i only see them at guides i miss them like mad because i looked up to them and i could always talk to them if things went wrong with my friends in my class which happens alot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh thanks Hamdi and may may.. high school is soo stressful!!!! Your name is lovely 2 maya and hamdi talk later :)
    Love Deirbhile xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ur welcome Deirbhile! Don't worry high school will settle down a bit and be fun. Hope u've made some amazing new friends! thnx too. Hamdi:)xxx

      Delete
  7. By the way its an Irish name!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon I know how u feel I never see my bfs anymore and I miss them like hell!!!!:) but you after a while you will find yr own wee group of bfs!! Stay strong
    love Deirbhile xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy
    How do I contact you because I have a problem I would like advice on fast!!!:) re: new high school!!
    love Deirbhile xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email via the 'email cathy' link over on www.cathycassidy.com or send me a message on my Facebook fanpage xxx

      Delete
  10. I was about to say "Blue hair at 12 years old?!" regarding Aideen...but then I remembered I had purple hair at 11. This happens a lot. I remember reading 14 year old girls posting on Facebook about relationships and boys and tutting disdainfully about how they were too young for that...then realising that my first relationship began when I was 12. I'm not sure what it is but,:the older I get, the younger kids get. Even 16 year olds are babies to me now.
    Blue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deirbhile :)
    I emailed Cathy today about pen pals on dreamcatcher.... do you like my idea? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great!!! Has Cathy answered?? By the way where r u from May?
    Love Deirbhile xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. She hasn't replied just yet. I asked her if I could run it how cool would that be?! I would love to be your penpal.
    I am from New Zealand, how about you? My middle name is Mae but sometimes I use it for websites and stuff like that.
    Rosie Mae. xxx
    p.s. this will be posted under 'Mae', because it's my middle name :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cathy said it was a great idea but we can't do it, for safety reasons. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. aww if u give me ur email address we could be pen pals. I live in Ireland
    talk soon!!!
    love Deirbhile age 11

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will email Cathy and see what she can do :)
    Rosie Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the net safety rules explained in the email I sent you, Maya, I cannot pass on readers email addresses… I don't have liability insurance for that if something went wrong. Why not join my Facebook fanpage and make contact that way, a little more safely? xxx

      Delete
  17. Do you have pinterest, Deirbhile? We could get in touch on there safely, (I am not allowed Facebook or any of those things)
    Rosie
    xxx
    p.s. would that be ok cathy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, that's up to you both… it's just that I cannot be the go-between, much as I would love to, for legal & net-safety reasons. Hope you understand, and hope you do manage to make contact. Another suggestion… get your parents to make contact via FB for example and they can arrange an exchange of addresses if they are happy? xxx

      Delete
  18. I think the school times/terms are different over where these girls are? (Because I started year 7 in January.)
    I remember on my first day, I was so nervous, but now I love it and I have made heaps of new amazing friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the girls in the feature are in the UK. Are you in Aus, Sarah? xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do live in the beautiful country of Australia!! x

      Delete
  19. Yeah, my mum has pinterest so I could ask to use hers if u wanted Mae??
    Love Deirbhile xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What about Whats app or Snapchat? I'm not sure if I'm allowed them but I'll ask I'm definitely not allowed Facebook! 2 young
    love Deirbhile

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sure, what's her pinterest? Mine is:
    www.pinterest.com/authorwriting
    I will friend you and send a personal message
    Rosie Mae
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually I got a new phone last night so I will download it later and give u the details
    love Deirbhile

    ReplyDelete
  23. to deirbhile
    Awesome! yip, that would be cool
    Rosie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kk talk later
    love Deirbhile

    ReplyDelete
  25. On my first day at primary school I had three best friends but found myself torn between two of them and Rhian. The two that were at my primary school felt left out because I was always playing with my friend who I don't see very much. I tried to bond us together and when it seemed it was going to go OK I moved to Cornwall and changed schools! Me and Rhian were soon pretty much out of touch but me and Alia stayed in touch for quite a while! Until she stopped answering my calls but this is OK because I have two new best friends and I very happy. : ) Smiles Rosiexxx

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...