Thursday 13 August 2015

HOLLY: MOVING ON UP!

Reader Holly shares her feelings on leaving school and moving on college… and offers advice to anyone leaving one school to start something new!


Holly says:
Leaving the high school where you've spent the last five years of your life can seem really daunting, but it's also a chance for a fresh beginning and an exciting new stage of your life. It may mean saying goodbye to friends who are going to different colleges but it's also a great opportunity to make new friends… and of course, you can stay in touch with old friends via social media and texting.

For me, moving on will be a big adventure as I'll be studying lots of new subjects. College offers so many new things to try - there's everything from Geology to Theatre Studies to get to grips with, plus a whole range of language options! The general idea is to study four subjects in your first year; if you want, you can then drop one and study three in second year. However, if you are up for a challenge you can take on five subjects!

Another thing I will have to adjust to is the size of the campus… colleges are huge in size and at first I know it will seem infinite, but I'm sure that before long I will get used to it. I will settle in quickly, just as I did at secondary and even primary school. My favourite thing about starting college is that after twelve years of wearing school uniform I can go to college in my own clothes. I'll feel much more comfortable and it will feel like being treated as a young adult rather than a teenager. It will also give me more scope to express myself through what I wear, and allow me to become more creative!

So if you have left primary school, secondary school or college this summer, see it as a positive thing that will change your life for the better. It's a brand new chapter of your life! Good luck!

Cathy says:
Leaving school to move on is always just a little scary - but usually we are ready for the challenge! Have YOU just left primary… or secondary? Do YOU remember how it felt? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

3 comments:

  1. It was hard leaving primary and moving into high school. I missed a lot of my teachers but I am fine now. To anyone who is changing schools or going into to college or secondary Don't let yourself stay in the corner if none of your old friends are there, branch out and make new friends. You may not be the best at making friends easily... ( I am not myself ) but give it a go, do your best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the top it says moving on college
    I think it should say moving on to college xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was hard moving to high school, I moved with my nemenis who made my social life hell at primary, and no-one else! I was in the same form, same table as them for 15 minutes every morning! But I'm learning to cope with it now...

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...