Monday 26 October 2015

MOVIE MONDAYS… SUFFRAGETTE!

Introducing MOVIE MONDAYS… an occasional series reviewing the best new films! Caitlin, Cathy Cassidy's daughter, kicks us off with her review of SUFFRAGETTE!

Caitlin says:
I went to see Suffragette with my mum. The movie is set in 1912 and describes the story of how women fought to get the vote. Before I go any further, let me just say - bring tissues if you are going to watch this film… but DO watch! With stars such as Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan and Helena Bonham Carter, this was bound to be a hit, but forget the all-star cast - this story is a deeply relevant and revolutionary part of history for all of us. The film does contain some upsetting scenes, but it is rated 12A and so should be fine for anyone of this age or above.

Through the story of a young washer-woman, Maud (Carey Mulligan), we are shown with gritty realism, the hard life of a poor, working woman in the early part of the 20th century. At first a quiet, unassuming character, events conspire to pull Maud into the fight for votes; she gains hope and develops a fighting spirit. Imprisoned several times for her involvement in the women's movement, her husband casts her out, embarrassed and ashamed, and she loses her only son. Some of the prison scenes are upsetting - I didn't know the suffragettes were treated so badly. If you don't know too much about the suffragette struggle, there will be some shocking and moving scenes which bring home how hard these women fought to begin the struggle for equality.

It's a very educational and thought provoking film, but you are totally drawn into the story - the very best kind of history lesson. I needed those tissues! Even though we have come a long way, the fight for equality goes on with public figures like Emma Watson speaking up for feminism. So keep talking, keep fighting and don't let anyone tell you are aren't equal to them! I was shocked at the end of the film to see that for example, women in Switzerland only got the vote in 1971, Iran in 1980 and Kuwait in 2005. In Saudi Arabia, women will have the right to vote for the first time ever this December.

Suffragette was a powerful and enjoyable movie and I award it four and a half stars out of five!

To see a trailer for SUFFRAGETTE, click below...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=056FI2Pq9RY

Cathy says:
I loved it too… recommended! Have YOU seen this film? COMMENT BELOW to give your verdict, or let us know if YOU would like to review a new film for DREAMCATCHER!

3 comments:

  1. I saw this movie on Saturday with my mom- LOVED IT! I'm not a very emotional reader or movie-watcher but I was definitely fighting back tears! I've read lots about the suffragettes and thought that they told their heroic story very well.
    I'm planning on going to see 'The Lady in the Van' when it comes out in November (huge Maggie Smith fan) Should be funny.
    Great review Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My librarian just recommended it to me. I have always been fascinated by the suffragettes, and was the only person in grade one to know what that word was, let alone what it meant! I think that it's important that we show younger generations why things are the way they are-why their mums vote, why black people and white people still live in very hostile situations in some countries. It's not going to be a good idea for people to forget those who fought so hard for their beliefs.
    ~El
    theramblingssofmoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty in books.29 October 2015 at 08:49

    I am so excited for this movie I so wanna watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...