Thursday 16 June 2016

MEGAN: MERMAID GIRL...

Reader Megan has an awesome short story with a seaside theme to share with you... dive in and enjoy!

There she was again. I could see her from across the pond, eyes large and hypnotising, awash with deep blues and sea greens with flecks of golden yellow. Her skin was a shimmering turquoise, each scale glinting in the watery afternoon sunshine, a flash of rainbow every so often. Her hair was a coppery brown, damp and wavy, clinging to her shoulders.

I couldn't look away. Even with scales she looked like an ordinary girl, but I knew that she wasn't. Suddenly she dived under the water, emerald green tail thrashing around. A few seconds later she emerged from the water just in front of me, eyes sparkling. She presented her hand to me, fingernails a pearly pink, webbing in between her fingers. She smiled as if to say, 'Trust me.'

I did, strangely. Every time I have seen her I've felt as if she understands me, understands me better than my own family do. We had a connection, a sisterhood. The nervous knot in my stomach disappeared and I grinned, seizing her hand, leaping into the water, laughing. Bubbles formed around me, like magic. When it fizzled away, we smiled at each other and, hands joined, we swam away... away from this boring, dry life.

I didn't know where we were going. I didn't know what would happen. I just knew that everything was going to be OK, as long as my sea sister was with me, exploring the great deep.

Fabulous artwork by reader Skye: thank you!

Cathy says:
Awesome story by reader Megan... I was totally hooked! Do YOU love to write? Would you like to see more short stories on DREAMCATCHER? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...