Monday 5 September 2016

ARIANNA: BACK TO SCHOOL

Our US columnist Arianna shares some wise words on the back to school blues... and how to make this year your best ever!

Arianna says:
Going back to school is exhilarating and unnerving all at the same time. It's full of an equal number of pros and cons no matter how you seem to look at it. You may be the bright-eyed new kid or the one who's had the same classmates since kindergarten, but whichever you are - or even if you're somewhere in between - you have the chance to start another year, to begin anew.

You have pressure to either show more maturity, brains or pretty locks of hair... but you're also dying to show off those new shoes or dreading how people may react to your new glasses. The thing is, you shouldn't care what people think, and I know it's one thing to say it and another to do it, but it's true. You don't necessarily need to be prepared mentally of physically to go back to school, but you do need to assure yourself you can get through it, no matter what. If you have read the CC book SCARLETT you will know that expecting the worst can work out badly. SCARLETT was shipped off to her dad's and pushed into a new school environment: on her first day, her attitude was anything but what it should be. By the end of the book she realizes this, but it takes her a long and twisting journey to figure it out!

Anyhow, for us, for you, it doesn't have to be that way. You can be like Anya from ANGEL CAKE who left everything she knew yet managed to push aside the negativity and doubt. She was scared but excited to move to a new country and start a new life, even though the reality of it is tough and challenging... and that fresh start led her to an enchanted ending.

If you're scared about returning to the hallowed halls of your school, I can't blame you. I am about to walk into my sophomore year of high school with a purple brace and a reputation built up from the year before. I have no idea what to expect. I could lose friends, gain friends, pursue a new crush... it's an adventure, but one that is full of risks. They are risks I am willing to take, and I am sure you will be too!

Good luck... I'll be back soon with a new post for you!

Cathy says:
What are YOUR worries about going back to school? What are your goals for the new term? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!


5 comments:

  1. My goals are to make more friends. The older I get, the more people I seem to need to spend time with. I am not into huge groups of people but I seem to need more friends. The only problem is that I am very shy around new people. Cant always cope to well. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. Its helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already gone back to school, as I live in Scotland. I started on the 17th of August at secondary! I was really nervous but now it's fine. I've made two new friends - Amelia and Amy - as well as being with two friends from primary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I will be going between my mum's and my dad's each week

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome I love it xoxo

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...