Friday 21 April 2017

TAYLOR: THE BOOK THAT HELPED ME...

Reader Taylor explains how CC books have helped him to battle an eating disorder...
Trigger warning: mentions of anorexia/ bulimia in this post.

Taylor says:
This sketch is something I drew recently to illustrate how I think Summer from SUMMER'S DREAM might have been feeling when her illness began to worsen - under pressure, afraid, lost, and with a very distorted view of her own body. I myself am (I think) now recovered from bulimia and borderline anorexia, and at my worst this image was how I felt - and what I saw when I looked in a mirror. I imagine Summer would be just the same.

I identify with Summer more than I would like to admit. It's almost as though we are the same person, except that I was - or am - an actor/ singer rather than a dancer. I actually had CC books recommended to me by my therapist, because they were what her daughter was reading. The books have really helped me to get through those horrible first few months of recovery.

SUMMER'S DREAM will always be a very special book for me. It - and the later books in the CHOCOLATE BOX GIRLS series which follow Summer's story as she slowly recovers - is just an incredible and honest representation of an eating disorder and I am very grateful for that, because it made me feel less alone and that there was hope for me. Thank you, CC!

Cathy says:
Thank YOU Taylor for such an honest and open account of your struggle and what the book SUMMER'S DREAM has meant to you. I LOVE the drawing, which is very powerful, and I am so glad you're on the path to recovery now! Is there a CC book that has meant a great deal to YOU? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Taylor, you're so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spot on and so brave. I myself have struggled with issues with my body for years. It took me awhile for me to be happy with what I see in the mirror no matter what kind of shape I was in. thank you for being brave enough to discuss your own struggles with the world to let other people like myself know we aren’t alone.

    Margaretta Cloutier @ Aspire Wellness Center

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...