Monday 28 August 2017

OLLIE: LOOKING BACK AT YEAR SEVEN...

Ollie is just about to move into Year Eight, but here he gives us a great round-up of his experience of Year Seven... great advice, and all from a boy's viewpoint!

Ollie says:
I've just finished Year Seven of High School. Some of it was good; some of it wasn't... but I have made it through! With two teachers as parents, and my older brother already at the school, I wasn't really anxious about starting Year seven. My biggest issue was that I don't always enjoy school, and find it hard to fit in with things just because it's what I'm meant to do. I didn't like learning to tie a tie, for example - but that's just a small part of it.

To begin with, I found it hard to organise my time when doing homework. It's a big change getting used to sorting out a lot of stuff for yourself. Writing things down has been really important, as there are so many things you could forget! Trying to remember all my stuff, and making sure I knew where I was supposed to be at any given time was hard work for a bit. Talking to people about things you are finding hard/ odd is definitely the best thing to do. Nobody can read your mind, and it's very easy for people to forget just what a big change High School is in some ways.

There weren't many of my friends going to my High School, and it has taken time to find people I like spending time with. I've now found clubs I enjoy and I'm pleased, because the people I am getting to know share my interests. I think it's really important you don't feel pressured into acting in a way you're not comfortable with just to try and fit in.

I don't think I will ever be a big fan of school, as I like learning in my own way. But there are some great subjects, and I do really like being treated as if my views count.

Cathy says:
I love Ollie's honest and practical post - with lots of great advice to new Year Sevens, too! Are YOU about to start Year Seven - or, like Ollie, have you already made it through? COMMENT BELOW to share your own views and experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...