Saturday 21 April 2018

MANDA: WAITING

Reader Manda shares her touching poem which left us with a tear in our eye! Read on...


Dressed up, like I used to
Like you’ll appear any moment
Waiting

Twinkling, they ask
Who I’m all done up for
I say -
Does there have to be a ‘who’?
Waiting

Vain, insane
And maybe all in vain
I am waiting

Gold watch ticking away
The minutes since you left
Waiting

Counting the hours til you come home
Home from far away
Waiting

Heart full of promises
Weighs heavier than your patched-up knapsack
And far less useful
Still waiting

Months and years
Smudge and blur
With the weight
Of waiting

Last rays of sun
Drain away from the horizon
Until I stop waiting.

They tell me: never.
You’re never coming home
What is there left to wait for now?

Cathy says:
Beautiful, Manda... just lovely. What did YOU think of this evocative poem? COMMENT BELOW to have your say.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were really not far off- I was specifically picturing the 'you' being a soldier deployed and then dying in a war (mostly because I had just played a small part in a film where my character's husband was deployed in WW1 so those general themes were stuck in my brain at the time and I got inspired when I saw the picture) but to be honest your interpretation works just as well, I actually really like it! Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it :) Manda

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...