Wednesday 4 July 2018

CONFIDENCE TRICKS

CC readers share their stories of how they managed to channel their self-confidence, even in the hardest of moments...


Soumia says:
In high school I used to suffer from a very low self-esteem, I was very insecure about many things in my body and face even though my friends and family used to tell me that I am beautiful. Something inside of me was not satisfied... I do not know how to explain it but it is like when you look in the mirror and like what you see for the first look but then the good and beautiful things start to fade and all you can see are the FLAWS. I do not really have any advice for it, but my insecurities disappeared with growing up. I went through tough phases and came out stronger. Today I can never hate anything about me, I still have some insecurities but I now know how not to let them ruin my day or my life.

Afroditi says:
Lack of confidence is my main character flaw. It stops me from actually achieving or even properly trying to achieve the things I long for. I always have this voice inside my head, telling me this isn't good enough. I need to work on that.

Hollie says:
I was always very confident being me - wore quirky clothes and wasn't scared to like what I like. You'd expect kids to have been nasty, but actually aside from the odd sarcastic comment or mention of the word 'weird' everyone loved me for it! If they asked why on earth I was wearing that or 'why do you have a Peppa Pig backpack, you're thirteen?' I didn't even falter in my response, and they had no choice but to accept it. They can't upset you over something that doesn't bother you! I was lucky to be very confident in myself, and didn't understand why others weren't. But when I was seventeen I started getting self conscious about how I looked and developed an eating disorder. It was only then I realised how important confidence was! Rather than looking at what you'd change, you've got to do other things that make you feel good. When I had anorexia I stopped feeling bad about buying myself things, and bought lots of clothes that made me feel really good! I didn't buy things that I thought I'd fit in if I was thinner, because otherwise there's reason to change! So I made myself love how I looked again, and it made me feel better about everything.

BeeBee says:
Confidence is like a mask - some of the most confident outgoing people are often the most nervous people suffering with low self esteem. Confidence in my opinion is a bit like attending drama class - you turn it on as a shield to protect yourself from people seeing your true self below the surface.

Marie says:
I am anorexic, and when I was in the hospital, I said I had faith in myself. But in truth, over time, I realized that I did not have faith at all. I thought I could control everything, so I had confidence and I was ‘proud’ of myself. But under the surface, I hated myself and found myself empty, lost and with no positive points at all. Anorexia is a poisonous disease that makes you believe in a twisted way, through the illness, that you're worth something, and that without it, you're nothing. It’s all a lie. You have to start from scratch, rebuild your confidence, learn to trust yourself and love yourself if you are ever to conquer it.

Cathy says:
Confidence is sometimes the hardest thing to channel, it takes time and doesn't always appear when you need it... it's something you build, little by little. Have YOU got any good confidence tricks? If so, why not COMMENT BELOW...

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...