Wednesday 3 June 2020

SAFEEYA - FOLLOWING THE DREAM

Thirteen year old Safeeya from India writes about her experience of lockdown and explains how poetry helps her to express her feelings...


Safeeya says:
At first, I thought lock-down was going to be fun (no school, hurrah!) but I'm missing my friends a LOT although I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. This can be a time where you can learn new languages, pick up new hobbies, try your hand at writing poetry/stories or even learn some new skills like amigurami - the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small, stuffed yarn creatures. You can learn those skills you always wanted to, because during this lock-down we'll all have a lot of time on our hands. Why not make the best of it?

For me, writing poetry and stories help a lot. It's a way I can express my feelings through pen and paper, and the thought seems magical. Those words contain power, and bucketfuls of emotion. Writing a journal, diary or even your own story might help a lot too, because it lets you channel your happiness, fear, anger or sadness into something worthwhile, a piece of work that could change the world, rather than channeling it into a big tantrum. I've always wanted to be a writer, someone who could write something that brings out emotions from the readers, someone who could write something that could change the opinions of even the most headstrong of people. Each moment I spend writing, it feels I am closer to following my dream of becoming a writer.

I always start with a strong, special thought, experience or emotion and let my mind wander around it. Try to express how you feel, or which thought comes to your mind, when you think about the topic, and the feelings will become more specific as you work with the poem. Writing down a couple of words that are related to the poem also helps. Those words could rhyme, but remember, they don't have to. Keep repeating these steps and voila, you'll have your poem! Remember that getting the hang of this takes a bit of time, so don't hold your breath waiting for poetry to flow out of your head! Not to sound like your schoolteachers, but practice makes perfect! Here is one of my poems... I hope you like it!

Destiny:
This is who you are
The real you is never too far
This is who you're meant to be
This is you - your destiny

You might think you're beautiful - or ugly
But beauty is only skin-deep
Yourself is all you need to be
Because it's your destiny

Just hang on to your personality
That's what makes you so unique
Open your eyes, and you'll see
The whole world differently

Flap your wings, get off the ground
Soar up high into the clouds
Get out of that cage, be free
Fly on - to your destiny

Image - Pexels, posed by model

Cathy says:
This is lovely... it's comforting to hear that lockdown is just as challenging in India, and inspiring to hear how Safeeya is using the time to be creative! Have YOU tried something new during lockdown? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion, Safeeya's poem is amazing! I have the dream of being a writer too. In fact, I've typed up a book! I'm planning to email it to Cathy. After all, she was the one who gave me inspiration! Safeeya, with what she's typed, makes me feel a bit more calmer about Coronavirus, and it soothes me, eases my messed-up brain. Remember, this ain't gonna last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing poem Safeeya! It's lovely to read inspiring things like this when the world is going CRAZY !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been typing poems as well and publishing on wattpad, which I'm really happy about! If anyone wants to read my stuff, just reply to this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This summer, I learnt to speak French!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...