Friday 26 April 2019

NICOLE: MURAL ARTIST

Do YOU know what you'd like to do as a career? In the first of a new DREAMCATCHER series we talk to young people with a whole variety of cool jobs. Prepare to be inspired!

Nicole says: 
I fell in to my job completely by chance! I had started singing at an Open Mic quite near to where I live. It was a really fun thing to do on my Wednesday nights, but as I started making friends with the host, George, we started talking about art. It turned out that he actually painted murals for a living, in hospitals and schools. He ran his own charity called Art For Their Sake - and it had been going for almost fifty years! He asked me if I wanted to volunteer with the charity and I of course said yes!

The first thing that I ever painted for this charity was rocks. Lots and lots and lots of rocks! George taught me that painting on to a wall is very different from painting on to a canvas or on paper. I couldn't quite believe how he had made painting rocks so interesting! I completely fell in love with the job and now, five years later, I can paint everything, from characters, to backgrounds, to more rocks!

It's very hard work, because we do very long hours and the pay isn't  great. It takes time to create a mural! But when you love your job, money doesn't matter, because of how happy it makes you, day in, day out.

I had just finished High School when George asked me to work with him. I wasn't sure at first, because my art teacher had not been a fan of anything I did! She told me, 'You would be lucky to get a 'C' grade.' But then she went on maternity leave... and a wonderful substitute teacher taught us for the year. She told us to believe in ourselves... and just like that, I managed to get a 'B' in art. It still wasn't what I was hoping for, but it showed me that even if you don't get as high a score as you would like in tests and exams, if you are passionate enough, you can still find a way to achieve your dream!

Cathy says:
Wow... what an inspiring message, and what a fabulous, creative job! The satisfaction of creating a bright, beautiful mural for a school or hospital must be huge... and what talent! What is YOUR dream career? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

1 comment:

  1. Mine is an author- just like you Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...