Monday 11 February 2019

NALLIE: RAISING MONEY FOR REFUGEES

Reader Nallie felt so strongly about the plight of refugees after reading SAMI'S SILVER LINING that she decided to use her art skills to raise money for a refugee charity...

Nallie says:
I've been a big fan of CC books since we read INDIGO BLUE at primary school and I remember emailing Cathy once to tell her I loved it; I was so excited when she replied! I'm an adult now, but still love CC books. I've just finished reading SAMI'S SILVER LINING for the fourth time and I think it's one of my favourite books. As a vintage fashion and music lover, I adore all the references to The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Beatles and more - the character of Louisa Winter sounds like she could be a future me, to be honest!

The more serious undertones of the story in SAMI'S SILVER LINING focuses on the plight of child refugees and the war in Syria, and this got me thinking about how I could help. Like Sami, I like music and doodling, and I already sell my artwork on a website called RedBubble. So I decided  to make some music-themed Valentine's day cards and to donate the money from these sales to the refugee charity Safe Passage, mentioned at the back of the book, who help child refugees find safety. So far I've got Marc Bolan, Morrissey and Beatles themed cards, and I'm hoping to add more designs.

I'm also sharing my artwork on my Facebook and my Instagram asking people to buy prints or donate to the charity, so I thought I'd let you know how I'm helping! My art designs are on my RedBubble page, HERE   and my Instagram is @theblondeberet... please do follow and if you can buy a card or donate, that would be amazing!

Thank you Cathy Cassidy for writing such an amazing story and inspiring people to think about and help out with the refugee crisis. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter of the Lost and Found!

https://www.redbubble.com/people/nalliessketches/collections/1049405-valentines?asc=u

Cathy says:
Nallie's response to SAMI'S SILVER LINING just blew me away... I love that she's been inspired to raise money for SAFE PASSAGE and I also love her gorgeous retro music-themed cards and artwork! Can YOU help by donating or buying one of Nallie's cards? Click the link above to find out how... and make Valentine's Day a day of spreading the love for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...