Sunday 12 May 2019

CAREER GIRLS: AMANDA - CUSTOMER SERVICE

Amanda's talent for languages led her to a varied and fulfilling job in international customer services...

Amanda says:
I grew up in the Netherlands, and languages have always been my passion. Before I started my current job, I had been working as a self-employed translator in France. However, this was not my dream job. I decided that I needed a place to go to and colleagues around me every day. I was not keen on being self-employed. I felt that the work never stopped, because I was working from home - and I was also struggling to earn enough money to pay my rent.

When I applied for a job in Customer Service at booking.com, it was a last resort to try and save my future in France. To my surprise and relief, I was hired. If you had told me ten years ago that I would work in customer service one day, I'd have told you that you were crazy. I was very shy, so I never thought it would be the right job for me. But it actually is! I work in an international environment with people from all over the world. I am part of a great team and we do our best to achieve our goals each day. I speak, write, read and hear foreign languages all day, every day, whereas I only wrote and read foreign languages when I was working as a translator.

The switch to this job was eighteen months ago and I couldn't be happier now. I help people experience the world by answering their questions and solving issues with their travel reservations. The reward when someone is happy after what you've done for them is happiness!

If you are struggling to find your way career-wise, hang in there. Dare to try something new. Get out of your comfort zone. The perfect thing might be waiting for you just around the corner, but sometimes it requires patience and a lot of effort to find it. Stay positive and never give up!

Cathy says:
I love this... it proves that a skill for languages can be applied to many different kinds of job, and that even a shy person can shine in the world of customer services! What would YOUR dream job be? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

2 comments:

  1. I've always admired people who can speak multiple foreign languages. I've tried to learn languages and I just don't seem to have the skill.
    I have no idea what my dream job would be, it's a constant worry, I don't see it being in customer service though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to explain my job in the "carrer girls" but I don't find the way ... please, help ...

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...