Sunday 19 May 2019

KATIE: GRAPHIC DESIGNER

Young Graphic Designer Katie shares her insights into a career in art and advertising...

Katie says: 
I’ve always liked to illustrate and design. And because of how modern our world is becoming, with technology and how it is influencing our industry, I thought it made sense to go into digital design. I remember being asked as a kid where I saw myself as an adult and I remember saying 'advertising'. I never thought that it would actually happen when I grew up!. I have to admit though, it's a lot more work than I anticipated. I have many late nights and not many days off when I have a big project coming up, but it’s all worth it in the end, because I have managed to achieve my dream. My parents are both artists and as I have grown up with their influence and their talent, I had a very strong advantage with my art, when I was first starting out.

I became a graphic designer very unexpectedly when I was eighteen. I was reading a newspaper on a train, and it had an advert for an apprenticeship to a top advertising agency in London. I applied and did loads of interviews and tests and somehow landed the job! I wasn’t quite expecting to get the job, so when I did and I had to move, it was all very fast and shocking, but exciting!

I work on print adverts that you see on billboards and bus stops for brands such as McDonalds, Kleenex, Nespresso, Kit-Kat, Rowntrees, Calpol, L'Oréal and many more! I also do digital and social design for some of these brands and so many others. My work also includes branding, typography and illustration.

Graphic design takes you to all sorts of different places, I’ve worked in  London, Amsterdam, Manchester, Liverpool - all over the place! A few years ago, I decided to start my own business so I moved to York, as city life was starting to get me down. I set up a business creating ukeleles (busybeeukele.com ). But I missed the graphic design, so I’m now back in my home city, Liverpool, where I do plenty of freelance design, which still takes me back to London and other places like Manchester.

Working for a company was good, but working freelance for myself suits me a lot better, as I get to choose and work on lots of projects at the same time. In the future, I would like to travel more with my design.  I would love to be able to see the world through my work. And I find that one of the true joys of my job is that I am continuing to learn as I go along and I am continually growing as a designer.

Cathy says:
I love Katie's sneak peek into the world of Graphic Design... it's inspiring to see how a love of drawing can become a challenging and exciting career! What is YOUR dream job? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

2 comments:

  1. Very interestîng and so original !!! I learnt something, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be a spy. It sounds pretty silly. But I've always loved spy movies and books so I thought maybe if you could do it I would.
    I don't know why I enjoy it but maybe because its so exciting. Your always getting chased, okay thats not the exciting part its pretty scary. But its kind of cool when you secretly take someones documents.
    But if it were in reality I'd probably just be an Estate Agent. Because you get to visit lots of houses, and I love seeing houses.
    So yeah my dream job is a spy but my reality job is an estate agent.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...