Monday 13 May 2019

READING CC BOOKS IN PORTUGAL!

Reader Abigail writes about what CC books meant to her growing up... and what they mean to her now!

Abigail says:
Though it’s the middle of August, it was rainy today in the little town of Sintra, my hometown,  despite the rest of Portugal being sunny and bright. So I decided to nestle into my couch with a mug of tea and a blanket and watch Chocolat, a movie I’ve been meaning to watch for years, since CC referenced it in INDIGO BLUE. It has very quickly become one of my favorite movies, as so much of it reminds me of her books, of my childhood. The tiny chocolate boxes wrapped in string that Viviane sells, the chocolate fortunes... they remind me so much of CHERRY CRUSH and I absolutely adored it.

So I am currently in a bubble bath, re-reading the first book of the CHOCOLATE BOX GIRLS series and eating chocolate chips, and I’m remembering things. This year, I finished high school, and I’ll be moving to Scotland to study psychology at the university of Edinburgh once September comes around (these books were actually a subtle driving force for me to study in the UK, believe it or not!!)

Anyways, I’m remembering my twelfth birthday, when a box appeared on my doorstep that my mom had ordered, filled to the brim with the books I had asked for,  CC books that I still didn’t have in my collection at the time (ANGEL CAKE, GINGERSNAPS, LUCKY STAR, CHERRY CRUSH, and others) and I just remember that day so fondly. Or when my dad came home from a book fair when I was ten with a copy of DIZZY in Portuguese, and how I fell in love with the gypsy festivals and the characters, and how I talked about it with everyone in my class...

I’m  just glad I have CC books in my life. They are so, so comforting to me and I will continue to re read them when I’m sad or anxious or nervous. They bring me home. So thank you, Cathy!

CATHY SAYS:
Aww... this post is so sweet. My older readers are just lovely, and often share their appreciation in this way... it never fails to make me  happy and grateful! Do YOU have a fave CC book? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

1 comment:

  1. Awww! What a lovely, cosy story! I love that she got a Portuguese Dizzy book from a book fair. I can definitely relate to her as I always go back to CC books when I'm sad or anxious too and they are always comforting.
    PS, I love the Chocolat film too <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...