Sunday 10 June 2018

KATHERINE: KEEP GOING EVEN IF YOU'RE LOST

Reader Katherine shares how CC books shaped and encouraged her writing career. Take a look...

Katherine says:
Tomorrow I turn twenty-two. I graduated college from East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina last December and  I've just got my very own first solo apartment. My life after graduation has turned out totally different to how I'd imagined. I ended up babysitting a former professors five year old daughter - the last thing I thought I'd end up doing. However, that same professor helped me realise that my path wasn't one that was already set for me, with my degree, with what people expected from me. I've been so happy with the idea of writing and being able to be creative as my profession, but keep having doubt that I'm good enough. Since I graduated I have been struggling to once again find my voice as a writer, and also find my place in this world as a kind, passionate, intelligent and thriving adult. 

Have you ever forgotten a certain time in your life and then had something made you remember it? All of those feelings come flooding back. This happened when I went back onto the CC website just the other day. I gave a little girl named Soleil a copy of SHINE ON DAIZY STAR to read. She is turning six but is a fantastic reader so I thought she could handle a chapter book. So as  I was going through the CC website to find similar, sort of younger books for her, I saw the 'COMPS' section.

I used to submit so much writing to Cathy's writing comps, without a care in the world. I didn't care if she judged me, I didn't care if other people thought it was good, I just did it. Cathy sent me letters twice for coming runner-up and once for winning! I was thrilled back then but cannot tell you what that means to me now. I scrolled back pretty far through the competition entries and found things I had submitted all those years ago. I remembered the stories that were mine. 

Cathy helped me so much, even if she didn't know it. She helped support me as the little artist I was ten years ago, and now I hope she can give me the inspiration to continue to be a writer even though right now I may be feeling a little lost. It makes my heart so happy to see her inspiring so many kids, as she once did for me. 

Cathy says:
It's stories like Katherine's that remind me more than ever why I write. What a touching story... thank you Katherine! Have YOU got a similar story where an author or book has inspired you? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...