Saturday 9 September 2017

EMILY: A WORLD OF DOODLES!

Have you ever dreamed of making money from your drawings and doodles? Talented Emily decided to do just that... find out how!

Emily says:
For as long as I can remember, I've loved to draw and colour. From doodling to designing my own 'fashion magazines', drawing was such a fun and limitless thing to do.After GCSE art I went on to A level, and that point I realised that my style was different to the others in my class. 'Fine art' was the expected style - lifelike still-life paintings and detailed drawings. My art was different - it consisted of lots of line drawings, outlines, abstract ink sketches of vintage sweet shops and all types of jars and containers.

My art teacher in secondary school told me she thought some of my designs could be used on postcards and prints, and encouraged me to sell them. I felt so happy and motivated by this idea that I decided to try, and not long after I set up a Facebook page called Emily's Artwork to showcase my work. People started to buy, and for a long time it all went pretty well, but eventually it began to feel like hard work. When somebody bought a canvas, I had to buy the canvas, draw it, paint it and send it to them - this took a long time and energy just for one order, and had to be fitted around my GCSEs and A levels too, which was not ideal.

Not long ago, I decided to go in a different direction. I thought back to my love of colouring - something I have always found enjoyable and relaxing. When the 'adult colouring' craze began a couple of years ago, I was amazed... suddenly everyone was joining in with the thing I'd loved for so long! I looked at these designs and decided to try making some of my own, and that's when World of Doodles began!

I bought some sketchpads and some good ink drawing pens and stayed up past 1am sometimes, drawing and imagining and getting all my creativity down onto the page. Now I am designing my own colouring pages and bookmarks for those who want to share my love of colouring! In May I opened up a brand new Etsy shop for my pages. It has gone pretty well so far and I've even started selling custom designs!

It doesn't take a lot to find a passion for something - and if passion is too strong a word, then perhaps just an interest is enough to start with. Find something you are interested in - whether that be drawing, colouring, drama, horse riding, maths - whatever you are good at! Standing out from the crowd and finding your style is different to others is by no means a bad thing. It's an amazing, confidence-boosting, inspiring thing! Find your niche, find your passion and let it fly. Trust me - it's the best feeling in the world to be doing something you love!

You can visit Emily's Etsy shop by clicking on WORLD OF DOODLES... we think you'll like it lots! Check out Emily's FB page too, here: https://www.facebook.com/worldofdoodles/   

Cathy says:
I love this post - Emily's creativity and determination are opening up new doors for her, and tapping in to the current craze for colouring is genius! Do YOU have a secret passion you'd like to make into something more? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

1 comment:

  1. emily you are so talented
    i love your work!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...