Sunday 14 May 2017

SARITA: FIRST CRUSH...

Reader Sarita opens her heart about a childhood friendship that evolved into a crush... or maybe something more?

Sarita says:
We were childhood friends, he and I. Not best friends, but we knew each other well. We had a bittersweet relationship where we cared for each other yet hated each other sometimes too.

Fast forward seven years, and the two of us were put in the same section, the same learning group. We quickly became best friends, always there for one another. Many of my other friends told me he liked me, perhaps as more than a friend, but I dismissed this. After all, I wasn't that special, I thought. Then, thanks to the wingman-ship of another friend, he asked me out. To say I was shocked was an understatement - I was beyond bewildered.

I did not want to hurt him, but nor did I feel able to get into something serious when I knew I wasn't ready for a relationship. I didn't share his feelings. I was still too young, so I told him to wait. Three years went by, and in that time... somewhere in the middle, perhaps - my feelings began to change. I couldn't help but smile at the sight of him, comfort him in his grief. I don't know if it was love, but it was definitely something. Immature or not, it was definitely something for me. A crush, a love... who knows?

What happened? Well, there came a point where we gave up on 'us' ever being a thing. He just moved on. He fell for someone new, and the first person to know about his crush on that new person was me. What could I do? After all, we had started off as nothing more than friends. I once thought - and I still do - that I may never truly love someone. I always imagined things would turn out like the stories in a CC book, but maybe that's what maturity does for us, it makes us believe that books are not like real life, that perhaps they are just an escape for people like me.

This was the story of a childhood friendship that turned into something more... my first and only crush. A story of confused emotions, a tingle of love maybe... and definitely heartache.

Artwork by Cathy Cassidy.

Cathy says: 
Sarita's story is bittersweet indeed... and it will be familiar to many of us, especially when trying to steer a safe course through the perils of friendship and first love when we are still trying to get to grips with our own feelings. Have YOU ever had a crush? Tell us more in a COMMENT BELOW!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, your artwork is so good Cathy!! I'm so sorry about that Sarita, I really hope that you will find someone else that makes you feel special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are special. To be honest love us have walked past by a lot of people but no one knows that true love is far greater than love[ standard love. like you 'love' your crush]. but if you are really meant to be there will b a new couple in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I'm so sorry bout wht happened but take my advice : If he moved on even though he knew you loved him but you just weren't ready for a relationship with him , he wasn't good enough 4 U anyway . Don't give up hope just yet as you never know who loves you till they say.... Love an anonymous writer <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry! i have never had a crush, though some boys have crushed on me. but that is rare and i suppose one of the reasons it's rare, is because no one really likes me that much.i have absolutely no idea why. my sis is really popular and pretty so people pay more attention to her and i suppose i seem dull in comparison. anyway,i hope you find the right boy soon, which i'm sure you will!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...