Wednesday 24 October 2018

JEMMA: MY PARENTS DON'T UNDERSTAND ME

Reader JEMMA shares her struggle to be understood by her parents. Read on to see if SUMMER TANBERRY can find a solution...

JEMMA SAYS:

Major problem… my parents don’t understand me or if they do they seemingly don’t care! They want me to study medicine at uni and are making me take science subjects at GCSE when all I want to do is be myself. I’d love to take art, as it’s one of my favourite subjects but I can’t if I have to take all three sciences. I cannot imagine myself as a doctor at all, but my parents seem set on it. Help!

SUMMER SAYS:
Speaking as someone who has pushed herself to the brink in search of perfection, I know only too well the risks. At least I chose to push myself, though - for you, someone else is making decisions about your life and setting you on a high-pressured path that may not be the right one for you. Studying medicine is a very long and tough path to take, and I'd say you have to be 100% sure that it's right for you. You need to be honest with your family and your teachers about what you want. I'm sure your parents are giving you what they think is the best advice, but as you have said yourself, they're not putting YOU into the equation at all!

Talking to a guidance tutor or even your art teacher may help to clarify things, and also give you an ally in school - someone who will back you up. Sometimes, timetable tweaks can be made to enable students to take a subject they love - this may be possible for you, if the school is aware of your dilemma. I studied art at GCSE and while it's by no means an 'easy' subject - it's not - it was a welcome contrast to the science, maths and language subjects I studied. For some of us, having a creative outlet is not just 'nice' but absolutely essential, and I think it may be this way for you. Time for some serious talking about the future... good luck and let me know how it goes!

CATHY SAYS:
I really feel for Jemma, but Summer's right - she has to be honest about how she feels before her future takes a turn that she may regret. Do YOU have any advice to add to Summer's words? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gemma! Just to let you know if you really love art and can’t take it at GCSE you can always do it at A level without the gcse. However you can also do science at a level without taking triple science as long as you pass combined! So really I’d just do what you feel is right and will make you happy xxx

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...