Friday 17 June 2016

HOLLY: HOW INDIGO BLUE CHANGED MY LIFE

Reader Holly explains why CC book INDIGO BLUE had such an impact on her life and helped to shape her future career...

Holly says:
I'm from Australia and I'm twenty-two - ancient, I know! The first CC book I read was DIZZY, more than ten years ago now, when it was given away free with an Aussie tween magazine. I loved it immediately and read it twice before lending it to all my friends so they could love it too!

I've always been a big reader but I got stuck for a while between kid's books and teen books. I loved writers like Enid Blyton but started to grow out of that style of writing and when I started high school the teen novels seemed a bit scary and grown-up for me just yet. That's why DIZZY seemed so perfect - she was my age and cool, and I loved her story, so I then used my pocket money to go out and buy INDIGO BLUE and DRIFTWOOD and I was instantly hooked. The characters seemed so real, like people I could meet at school or at soccer practice or at the beach, and I started writing stories myself and creating characters that felt real in the same kind of way. I ended up coming first with my creative writing piece in my HSC (a bit like British A levels) for one of these stories.

INDIGO BLUE was always my favourite because, like Indie, blue is my favourite colour - and because it was the first time I had properly heard of a social worker and what they do. Again, reading LUCKY STAR, the job of the social worker was outlined and the seed of an idea began to form. I thought this sounded like something I would like to do when I finished school, a really useful job where I could work with kids and people who needed help, so I applied to do a Social Work degree at the University of Sydney, and I got in. I am working towards my degree now, and I still read everything I can get my hands on, especially stuff that has interesting characters. I hope to move to London when I finish my degree and maybe, one day, I will even be able to help my own 'Indigo Collins'. I guess you could say that book changed my life!

Cathy says:
Wow... this post has made me smile and smile! Have YOU been influenced by a CC book? Or are YOU an older reader who can't quite let go of your fave CC books? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

1 comment:

  1. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could let go of Dizzy. I get so much of a happy feeling reading it though. That I won't. Ever. <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...