Sunday 19 November 2017

VIOLET: LOVE STORY

Reader Violet shares a very different kind of love story - with a twist in the tail!

I love her. I loved her the moment I saw her, and knew I had to make her mine. She doesn't know this, of course; I don't speak to her, but I love her, and I know she'll love me too if she gives me a chance. I've been watching her for weeks now, hanging around the places she frequents. I think she's come to recognise me because she nods at me sometimes and gives me that adorable grin that makes her nose scrunch up and melts my heart. She never approaches me though, and I can't work up the nerve to go to her... I just nod back briefly, then turn my head away and feign disinterest. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen, my mates say. I'm not sure about that, but they're far more street smart than I am so I guess they'd know.

Today, things are going to change. I've waited for my glacial coolness to reel her in, but it hasn't worked. Time to show her how I feel. She walks home from work through a small wooded area, so I head there and wait. She's approaching, humming a tune I can't quite place and kicking through the foliage.Taking a deep breath, I step out in front of her and she startles, lost in thought, but when she sees that it's me her face relaxes into that easy smile I love so much.

'Hey... Tom, is it?' she says, cocking her head to one side. She knows my name - she must have been asking about me around town. I take a step closer, my heart hammering in my chest. 'It's such a nice day, hey, Tom?' she goes on. 'Im going to stay here for a bit and read, but if you want to keep me company...'

Me! She's talking about me! She wants my company! I love how she talks to me, treating me normally. Most people talk to me slowly and simply, like you would to a very young child. They assume that I don't understand, but I know much more than I let on. I slink to her side; I can feel the heat from her body and the hair on the back of my neck rises because she's so close. She looks up from her book occasionally, smiling, and I chance my luck and edge closer. She glances at me again. I wonder if she can tell that I've been staring at her this whole time?

'Aww, Tom, you're so cute!' she exclaims, scratching under my chin. I weave through her legs. purring loudly to show my affection, and she strokes my head, oblivious to the fact I'm getting ginger fur on her dark tights. I love her. I loved her from the moment I saw her, and I had to make her mine. Every cat knows there's a perfect human out there for them, and I know I've found mine. It won't be long till she's putty in my paws...

Cathy says:
I love this story... clever and funny and very cute! Are YOU enjoying our weekly fiction slots? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! What a gr8 twist!!! I ♡ my cat! I think I almost understand her better now...

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...