Friday 3 March 2017

DEIRBHILE: REACH OUT

Have you ever struggled with eating issues or depression? Deirbhile shares her story...

DEIRBHILE SAYS:
Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses. One in five sufferers will die, either from malnutrition or suicide. Eating disorders are NOT a diet gone wrong, a choice or a lifestyle. They are a serious psychiatric illness which in reality have very little to do with food, and I thank my lucky stars every day that my anorexia was noticed quickly and that I received the appropriate treatment. Recovery is the hardest thing I have ever done and probably ever will do, but full recovery IS possible.

Depression is still very much a part of my life and I can now accept that it probably always will be - but it no longer engulfs me and even my bad days are a million miles away from my worst days. Having depression does not make me a depressing person - I'm very, very happy. I was lucky enough to get the right treatment and find the right medication to manage my illness.

For me and for many others, eating disorders are a side affect of depression. No one just wakes up one day and decides to stop eating - it's a slow and dangerous process that can be fatal, but as we have seen, recovery is possible. Recovery is falling down and getting back up again. Recovery is learning to love your body because it contains YOU. Recovery is finding yourself and learning to try to love yourself. Recovery is FIGHTING. Fight is no exaggeration and each day was and occasionally still is an exhausting mental battle. But it's all good because I have come through it, and I've left school now and am training for my career.

If you are struggling please don't be ashamed of your illness and reach out to find help. If you are coping or in recovery, speak out and let's try to end the ridiculous stigma surrounding mental health problems. After all, it's a flaw in chemistry, NOT a flaw in character.

Cathy says:
Deirbhile is a pretty amazing and inspiring young woman, and her words are an absolute must-read for all of us. Have YOU ever struggled with mental health issues? Do you know someone who has? COMMENT BELOW to have your say.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Deirbhile, you're really amazing! I always find inspiration when I hear things like this.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...