Friday 2 October 2015

SARA: I LIVE IN DUBAI!

Reader Sara tells all about what it's like to live in the United Arab Emirate of Dubai…

Sara says:
I have lived in Dubai for four years… I live in a five bedroom villa beside the beach, with my mum and dad and our two dogs Romeo and Frosty. We came out because of my parents job, and I have enjoyed every bit of living here. Before we came, we lived in England and life there was completely different. It's so nice now to wake up to the sound of the waves and the bright rays of sun shining in through the windows. I love spending time at the seaside while the sun sets… it is one of the most beautiful things ever.

I go to a very nice international school, which means I am studying with children from all over the world. It's friendly and not at all strict. My favourite subjects are art and science! The uniform is a skirt with a white shirt and a red scarf, and I quite like it. Every year a kite festival takes place on the beach near us, where professional kite flyers come for shows and to teach others how to fly kites. At weekends I go fishing with my dad and often call my friends to come over for boating or swimming in the sea. During the summer holidays there are always fun activities for kids like bungee jumping, treasure hunts and sand castle building.

Dubai is an Arab state and most of those living here are Arab muslims. The culture holds a strict rule for Arab ladies to wear an abaya at all times in public… it's a long black gown that covers their entire body. Non Arabs and tourists must wear respectable clothing at all times. Dubai is a fascinating mixture of traditional and very modern, though. There are many tourists so we have lots of waterparks, theme parks and beautiful hotels. Dubai holds the record for the biggest mall and the tallest building in the world, and it is always fun to visit these attractions. There are some great resorts which have camel rides and traditional food, too!

Emirati cuisine is a blend of many Middle Eastern and Asian cuisines; my favourite dish is hummous and pita which is a chickpea paste served with soft, warm flatbread. Food in Dubai is not too spicy, which is good, as I am not keen on very spicy food! The desserts are great too. Baklava is one of the best, a sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and honey or syrup. The food here really is awesome!

Overall, I think Dubai is great… there are so many activities and parades and things to do; you are never bored. The one thing I hate is the weather… it is super humid, and often as hot as 48 degrees which makes it hard to step outside!

Cathy says:
I haven't spent much time in Dubai but I have visited the neighbouring emirate of Sharjah, and I agree with Sara's comment on the weather! Have YOU ever been to Dubai? Would you like to? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...