Wednesday 13 July 2016

FAYE: SCARED TO MOVE ON...

It's problem page time on DREAMCATCHER and reader Faye is struggling with the thought of stepping away from primary school and moving on... can Cherry Costello help her to get things in perspective?

Faye says:
We've just broken up from primary school and it was so emotional and sad, saying goodbye to the people I've known ever since reception class. Lots of my friends are going to different schools and even though my best friend J is going to the same school as me, I am so scared. We are all supposed to be excited and the teachers say we are ready for it, but I don't feel ready, not at all, and I can't say this out loud or I will look stupid and babyish. I wish I was back in Year Four or Five when everything was simple and safe. I've cried myself to sleep every night since we broke up. What can I do?

Cherry says:
It is hard to let go of the security of primary school and friends you've known forever, but you can handle this, I promise. If I can move from Glasgow to Somerset and start a new school, make new friends, then you can move schools! I know how emotional the end of primary school can be, but although you have cold feet right now, you ARE ready to move forward. Do tell your friend how you're feeling - it's not babyish to feel anxious, it's natural, and I bet she is unsure of herself too. Together you can face the changes up ahead. Growing up is all about being brave enough to show our fears and weaknesses and learn to work with them and learn from them. Make the most of this summer with your old primary friends and talk honestly about how you feel about secondary... but when the time comes, give it your very best shot. And enjoy!

Cathy says:
Great advice from Cherry - do YOU agree? What more would add to help Faye get ready for secondary school? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

2 comments:

  1. I remember having the exact same feelings when I left primary school. It wasn't as bad as I thought, quite often our minds go into panic mode and it's never as bad as we imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I've just broken up from Primary School too. It's so sad, but it's also a great opportunity for a fresh start.. New friends, new hobbies, new lessons. It's hard to let go and move on to a new chapter in your life, but trust me, you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...