Friday 21 March 2014

A MODERN FAIRYTALE!

Have you ever wanted to write your own books? Reader Deborah had the same dream, and made it come true... find out how!

Can you tell us a little about yourself, Deborah?
I'm 14 years old and I have a raging addiction to books. I read them. I write them. I recommend them. I'm crazy about them! I'm most definitely a crazy CC fan! I have pretty much ALL her books, and I always go crazy when she posts things or favourites my tweets! Everyone says I'm too addicted to her, but I know better!

What are your hobbies and interests?
I like most things that are creative - reading, writing, daydreaming, stitching, singing, dancing, video games, drawing and painting! I'm also interested in helping others - I just like doing things that make others happy!

How did you get started in writing? Is it something you've always wanted to do?
Ever since I started reading books I've ached to write my own. I wanted to be a famous author. I started writing stories in Year 4 when I was nine... by Year 6 I'd had a few teacher awards and some praise for my writing. My mum published a book she'd written, and a year later I started writing 'A Cupcake Fairytale.' I wanted to follow in her footsteps... and I guess my mini career started from there! One little dream turned into a beautiful reality.

Writing a book is quite a challenge... tell us more!
I honestly thought I could do it. I'd just turned thirteen and saw this as a chance to move up a level in life. I sent my story to my mum's publisher when it was finished and did two lots of editing before he accepted it. The publishing process only took a week and the book was up and running on amazon before I knew it. Editing was the hardest part - it took a while to do and school got in the way!

You have published your books as e-books; how did you go about this?
At first I didn't realise they'd be e-books. My uncle, who is my publisher, explained it was expensive to produce paperbacks and that we should wait until we had a few sales to be sure it was worth the investment. I've been doing a lot of saving since then! From my point of view the process is quite easy - I email my uncle the manuscript and he puts the books together, including the cover.

What ways have you publicised the books?
I started a YouTube channel to upload book trailers for my books. There's a book trailer for both A Cupcake Fairytale and Two Voices. Later I decided to do lots of other things on my channel so I uploaded recommended book videos, recipes, book trailers for other books and lots more fun stuff. I also created a Twitter and Tumblr account and put posters up around my school.
You can watch the trailer for A Cupcake Fairytale here...
And the trailer for Two Voices here...

What are your plans for the future?
I'd love to go to Cambridge University and work either as a nurse in Dermatology or as a primary school teacher. I still want to do all the hobbies I do now... and I still want to be in love with CC books!

What advice do you have for anyone reading this who would like to write, too?
I can only say write from the heart. The best stories come from that place in your dreams that makes you happy; and when you tell the story of your life the world can feel its energy and become inspired by you. Never think your story is weird or that nobody will like it because trust me, people will fall for your character and be with them all the way. Believe to achieve!


Check out Deborah's YouTube channel here...

Have YOU written your own book, or started a blog or a YouTube channel? You can tell Cathy about it here! And don't forget to COMMENT BELOW to let Deborah know what you think of her fab achievements!

9 comments:

  1. Deborah is very inspiring. It's also great that her Mum and her Uncle obviously supported her, and that she learnt the value of editing. I'm glad you worked so hard to achieve your dreams, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving the support Tracey, thanks for commenting! xxx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah is fab... I see a great future for her! Good luck with the 500 words comp Caitlin - it's not an easy task! Your writing club sounds cool! xxx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Every week now, we have to write stories on a Tuesday. Sometimes we get a subject and a sentence to start with then we make the story up, but sometimes we have to plan it then make a story up from scratch. Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah, it is, we have a big purple book to do it in and we've got to be really neat. Blondie

      Delete
  5. Oh my Gosh! This is soooooo fab. Thanks for you guys feedback and hope for me! I really feel like I can do anything with people like you supporting me!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...