Thursday 12 June 2014

I WAS HOME SCHOOLED - ILLEGALLY!

Reader Lauren is home schooled in South Africa, where the rules are super-strict for those being home-schooled. She shares her experiences with DREAMCATCHER...

Lauren says:
The South African education department REALLY doesn't like anyone doing anything out of the ordinary; they set rules that you must follow the SA curriculum exactly and take the exams at certified schools, which kind of destroys the whole point of home-schooling in the first place.
My mother wanted my sister and I to really WANT to learn, so she sourced different text books of very high standards and read a lot of works of great literature to us. Now that I'm over the age of fifteen, the law can't do anything about me not being in school, but it still makes life difficult. I am now doing my Cambridge AS levels, but the education department sets its own rules about which subjects you can do to get Matric exemption. They don't consider AS literature to be a worthwhile subject - I mean, seriously?

Being home-schooled has been a tough road at times, but I'm glad not to be in the mainstream. Also, I have far more time for music and writing, both of which I plan to be studying at university!

Cathy says:
I love that Lauren has such a love of learning and the confidence to follow her own path in life... even though the education system in her country makes it hard for her to do so! Good luck with your exams and with university, Lauren!

What do YOU think about home-schooling? Have you ever studied at home, or do you feel that school offers a better way of learning? COMMENT BELOW to tell us what you think!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think homeschooling would sometimes be good and sometimes be bad.
    It would be good because like you might not have to do as much work and have more time to go for walks down to the river/cove (Scarlett).
    I think it would be bad because you wouldn't be able to see your friends much, because I know most people only see their friends at school.
    Sarah <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think being home schooled is a really good idea for people's attitude to education. Being able to have your own schedule means that the subjects you do are your own choice so you don't feel forced into a lesson or subject. At the same time, going to a public school does get you used to the world. It teaches you the ways of acting around colleagues and working under someone else's conditions. But either way, you get to have fun somehow!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about homeschooling - we're really not so isolated!! And as for "preparing for the world", I've actually had more work experience than most kids my age, doing music gigs and concerts that often schoolkids wouldn't be able to do as they're sometimes on a weekday! It's different for everyone, I don't think it fits any set stereotype :) Oh, and thank you Caitlin Semley for the wish of good luck!! - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally think home-schooling is not really as good as normal school. First of all, you wouldn't be able to see your friends as much. Maybe you still see your friends equally as much and if that's the case then it's fine. But you still need to learn discipline and how to react to scenarios/situations involving other children. Obviously your parents would teach you things but they don't have the qualifications that teachers do. On the other hand, some people may work better without company. It just depends on the person, really. Lauren has done extremely well, though, getting in to Cambridge. It just goes to show, no matter what you set your mind to, you will succeed!! GOOD LUCK LAUREN!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...