Thursday 26 June 2014

THE ART OF THE CHOCOLATE BOX...

Ever wondered how the gorgeous, good-enough-to-eat covers of the CHOCOLATE BOX GIRLS BOOKS are designed and made? Wonder no more… artist Sara tells all. There's even a super-cool chocolate-icing tutorial to inspire you!

Sara says:
I'm a senior designer at Puffin and I'm lucky enough to design and illustrate the Cathy Cassidy books, including the lovely Chocolate Box Girls series. I have a very clear memory of designing CHERRY CRUSH, the first book in the series… I was stranded in a snowdrift in Harrogate! I'd gone on holiday and the snow had begun and I was thinking of ideas for the cover, and it all seemed to come together. I designed the hand-drawn 'Cathy Cassidy' logo and the wraparound cover with the circle cut-out and the cherry blossom and of course the chocolates… on each book, the chocolates are iced with images that are relevant to the story. I've made a little chocolate-icing tutorial film to show you how… take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2qsf-bVdM&feature=em-subs_digest

I loved both art and English at school and ended up doing an art degree as there were more boys on the course than in English! Oops… possibly not the best way to choose! Once I'd qualified, I used to take my portfolio round all the design agencies and someone suggested I would do well in publishing. I tried it and I've been here ever since! If you are keen on art and design as a career, go for it… every day is different, and it's fantastic fun!

7 comments:

  1. i think Sara is the best illustrator for Cathy Cassidy. (Good choice Cathy!)
    i am a like Sara, because i like art and English, but i bet English is my best subject, as i am top writer in my class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! that's amazing! im also top writer too!

      Delete
    2. Yes I'm also top writer too. I just love English.

      Delete
  2. Sara's illustrations are fantabulous. I love the chocolates on the cover and how the differ between each book. It plays a big part in what makes The Chocolate Box Girls so unique. What other books have you seen with actual chocolates on the cover. And the colour matching is amazing. I truly love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree with you. the chocolates on the cover brings the books to life!

      Delete
  3. I really love her illustrations! I really like to be an illustrator and writer as well. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dreamcatcher, and I love sara's illistrations! I'm gonna be either an illustrator or a writer! I love cathy too, she's one of my fave writers!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...