Friday 15 December 2017

CURL UP WITH A CLASSIC... A CHRISTMAS CAROL!

Reader Jodie-Mae shares her favourite classic read... and it just happens to have a Christmas flavour! Make yourself a hot chocolate and dive into A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens!

Jodie-Mae says:
If there is one story that sums up the festive season to me it has to be A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens. I admit I knew the story long before I ever read the book... the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge and his miserly ways has been popularised with several film versions! I first read the book this time two years ago, when I was off school after an illness My gran came to visit and she'd just borrowed a copy from the library. I could not resist having a look, and she decided to leave it with me! It seemed the perfect thing to read before Christmas, and I loved it so much my lovely gran actually bought me a copy of my own for Christmas!

So I am guessing we all know the story of how the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Yet To Come (as well as the ghost of his old friend Marley) visit Scrooge and show him the error of his ways... and what he's missing out on. It's an uplifting story of how kindness, love and generosity make the world a much better place... and how mean mindedness only turns a person sad, sour and lonely. I never tire of the message, but also love the way a Victorian Christmas is conjured up. The book does not shy away from describing how hard life was for those living in poverty, and that is a message I think we can still learn from.

The short book was first published on 19th December 1843, and the first edition had sold out by Christmas. By the end of the following year, thirteen editions had been printed and the book was well on the way to becoming a classic. The book was written at time when Christmas trees were just becoming popular and carols were having a revival, and some feel the book's celebration of Christmas actually helped to shape and cement the way we celebrate. The book got me interested in reading Dickens and finding out more about his life, and I liked that he often wrote about injustice and inequality and tried to do something about it. I am in Sixth Form now and studying both English and History, with a special interest in Victorian novels and history. It's an area I would love to study at uni one day, and I have A CHRISTMAS CAROL to thank for that!

Cathy says:
Brilliant... like Jodie-Mae, I read this novella as a teen and loved it! Do YOU have a favourite classic read? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more, or email if you'd like your suggestion to feature on a future DREAMCATCHER post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...