Tuesday 5 December 2017

TRISH: CHRISTMAS BAKING!

Blogger Trish tells us why baking is such an important part of Christmas for her - and shares a favourite recipe for you all!

Trish says:
I grew up in Canada and we did Christmas BIG! There was a tradition where the women and children would gather at my Aunty Wendy's house and bake for the holidays, and I took part in this from the age of six onwards. We'd do some baking ahead of the big day to swap around, and when Cookie Day came around we'd bake dozens and dozens of cookies together. Decorating was always the best part! All the kids would get an apron and a paint brush and set to work making the cookies sickly sweet and sticky with icing, food colouring and sprinkles. It was so much fun spending time with my cousins and aunties, with Christmas music blaring in the background.

My mum always loved baking and when we moved to England we carried on doing our own baking day, always trying to drag friends into the fun. After my mum passed away, I decided I would keep the tradition of baking for those I love, especially at Christmas. This year, my favourite recipe is for shortbread cookies... classic, and so delicious!

You will need:
225g unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
225g plain flour
110g cornflour
pinch of salt

To make:
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.

- Cream butter and sugar together and then stir in flour, cornflour and salt. Mix until smooth.

- Tip the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a soft dough.

- Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 1cm... then cut into shapes and prick the biscuits with a fork.

- Place on baking trays and chill in the fridge for half an hour.

- Bake at 170 or Gas Mark 3 for 20 minutes until just golden at the edges. Dust with caster sugar and allow to cool. Makes about 20 biscuits!

Cathy says:
Wow... I love shortbread, and this recipe seems simple enough even for me to try! Do YOU have any special baking traditions at Christmas? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...