Sunday 14 June 2015

FORTUNE COOKIE - THE VERDICT!

Reader Blue shares her fab review of FORTUNE COOKIE - have you got your copy yet?


Blue says:
FORTUNE COOKIE is the last book in the roller-coaster of a series that is the Chocolate Box Girls - and boy, did it go out with a bang! It's a little different from the first five books as it's narrated by a boy, the sisters' long-lost half-brother Jake, nicknamed Cookie. Jake is just as family oriented and fiercely protective as the half-sisters he's never met, but he's different too, as all the siblings are. He has different speech patterns (I honestly have no idea how Cathy manages that!) and he's caring and impulsive. When you realise that, you know you're in for a good read! There are ups and downs and tense moments galore, times when you relate to Jake and understand his motives and times when you want to pinch the bridge of your nose and sigh at his actions and ideas. He is stubborn like his half-sisters and lands himself in situations that will keep you turning the pages to see what happens next.Talk about unpredictable - it's such an exciting book!

Cathy has a way of making the characters relatable and real - there are no perfect people with perfect lives, just flawed people fighting their own personal battles and trying to be the best they can be.We care about these characters, their lives and what happens to them. It makes the transfer of feelings more intense - Jake's worries are our worries, his tears are our tears and his happiness is our happiness. The book is an unpredictable and somewhat bumpy ride, but it wraps up nicely. I like that in a series closer; I like to know how everything works out and I'm sure Cathy's other fans will appreciate it too. If you've read the Chocolate Box Girls series from start to finish, expect a good kick of nostalgia following the twists and turns, the revelations and secrets - and the truces you never thought you'd see!

As with all the books in this series, expect a large helping of chocolatey goodness, laden with mouthwatering adjectives. Ooh… I could go for some of Paddy's truffles right about now! Maybe it's obvious but I'm going to use fortune cookies as the measurement of excellence for this novel - five out of five fortune cookies are awarded here! An amazing end to an amazing series… the best end to a series I've ever read. If you haven't read it yet, please do… it's awesome, and the cover is lovely, too!

Cathy says:
I LOVE this review… and I love Blue's FaceQ pic of Cookie, too! Have YOU read FORTUNE COOKIE yet? Send me your review and I'll put the coolest on DREAMCATCHER!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, my face looks red in that picture! Very Empress of the Racnoss. Except I only have two eyes. OK, anyone who didn't watch Doctor Who in 2008 is probably very confused by this comment! Sorry. I'm also sorry about a tiny error I noticed - truffles shouldn't have an apostrophe; it's a plural, not a possessive or an abbreviation. I don't think that's my error, I'm very careful when writing but I'm sorry if it is and, if it's not, I'm sorry for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortune Cookie seems like a great, no, brilliant, no, phenomenal read! Can't wait to get my copy!!!!

    Wait, when exactly do I get my copy???

    Oh yeah, I'm going to get mine after the SATS results come and if my parents are satisfied with them. Maybe then I might be able to relax with a copy in my hand. . .

    Fingers crossed that I've got three level 6's in SATS!!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the book was great, but I didn't think Skye was in enough. I'm just saying that cos she's my favourite character, though, I think Cathy Cassidy should write a seventh book all about her again! Other than that, though, it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh... I cant get the book, or the series, out of my mind. It is so beautiful and when I finished, its all I could think about and talk about. Having starting the series in 2014 I could not wait when I got the book and open it and see what was inside...
    anyone who has read the series is going to love the finale!
    enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this book is amazing! I'm really gutted that this is the last book of the series, I'v enjoyed it so much I think I must have read it at least 60 times (slight exaggeration!) Anyway, carry on with the amazing books, I'm looking forward to them!!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...