Wednesday 11 November 2015

LEAH: I'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE...

It's problem page time again on DREAMCATCHER, and reader Leah has a dilemma for Honey Tanberry to solve…

Leah says:
I have made the biggest mistake of my life and I don't know how to fix it. I left school in the summer after taking my GCSEs and begged to be allowed to go to the big Sixth Form College in town. I am taking French, History and English A levels. The problem is, I hate it. I hate the subjects I'm doing, apart from English, I hate the teachers who seem fake and try too hard to be everyone's mate, and I haven't made proper friends. Everyone seems loads more grown up than me and I find it very hard to concentrate on my work. I think I'd rather be back at my old school's Sixth Form and I would like to change two of my A Level choices to Drama and Music. I was off college with a cold last week and I really, really don't want to go back. How can I admit I'm unhappy when I tried so hard to convince my parents that this was the right move for me? They wanted me to study Music and I opted for French because I thought it would look better on my uni application, but I am not enjoying the subject at all.

Honey says:
You're not alone… many young people take a while to work out what they should be studying, and which styles of teaching suits them best. It's better to suss your mistake now than to push on and find yourself stuck with subjects you hate! You say you can't tell your parents how miserable you are, but I think you know you HAVE to. OK, so it may feel embarrassing, but they will understand and they can help you to change things. They wanted you to study Music, so they will be on your side over that. You have to be totally honest with them, and ask them to contact your old school and see if they'll let you rejoin. It is possible… one of my best friends joined the Sixth Form two months into the course. The important thing is to act now, because the longer you leave it the more coursework you will miss from Drama and Music. Sometimes, we DO make mistakes in life - I know, I've made more than most people! It's normal, really, as long as we learn from them! Be honest and admit you've messed up - and get the help you need to sort this all out. Your future is at stake… and that's something you NEED to get right, I promise you. Good luck!

Cathy says:
I agree with Honey… we all make mistakes, and we change and evolve, too. It takes courage to admit that you want to change things, but if Leah acts swiftly she should be OK. Do YOU agree with Honey? Have YOU ever made the wrong decision and lived to regret it? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...