Wednesday 21 May 2014

BETH BAKES... CARMELITAS!

Reader Beth loves to bake... and loves finding new recipes and treats to try out! We asked her to share her recipe for Carmelitas, which have the reputation in the USA for being the best cookies in the WORLD!


Beth says:
These are my Carmelitas! The recipe is an American one I found on Pinterest, and I've adapted the measurements and changed it a little. My passion is baking and these are my FAVOURITE thing to bake as they're soooo delicious! My tips: line the tin with foil before you start as it makes it easier to lift the Carmelita out of the tin once cool. When you take the baked mixture out, it will be wobbly and soft, but leave it to cool completely at room temperature and it will soon harden. I also put them in the fridge overnight once they'd cooled, and they tasted even better the next day!

CARMELITAS:
Main ingredients:
171g/6oz melted butter
165g/5.7oz brown sugar
128g/4.5oz plain flour
85g/3oz rolled oats
1tsp bicarb of soda
6oz choc chips
1/ Combine melted butter, brown sugar, oats, flour and bicarb of soda in a bowl.
2/ Press half the oatmeal mixture into bottom of an 8" x 8" baking tin lined with tinfoil and bake in oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees/ gas mark 4.
3/ Remove from oven and sprinkles chocolate chips over the base.
4/ Make the caramel mixture (see below) and pour over the chocolate chips.
5/ Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over the caramel and return to oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
6/ Remove from oven and cool completely to room temperature before cutting into squares. Enjoy!


To make the caramel...
397g tin of condensed milk
4oz margarine
4oz sugar
1 tbsp syrup
Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over a low heat, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, still stirring, until thick and caramel-coloured, then pour over the oat and chocolate base.
(Easy short-cut - buy a tin of ready made caramel!)

Cathy says:
Wow... these Carmelitas look and sound AMAZING! Do YOU love baking or are you a kitchen catastrophe? COMMENT BELOW to tell all!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking. I prefer baking sweet treats instead of proper meals but I will happily cook anything. My favourite recipe to cook would have to be sticky toffee puddings they're lush! I'm not entering a cake competition (like Caitlin) but I would like to. Also those cookies look great I'm going to try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. The only thing I can cook is instant noodles T_T but those cookies look amazing! Wish I had the motivation to bake something like that!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...