Tuesday 13 May 2014

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE...

Have you ever dreamt you could be a ballerina, like Summer Tanberry from my book Summer's Dream? Reader Maddy tells us what it's like to be in love with ballet...

Maddy says:
I got into dance because my auntie had her own studio and my mum was one of the ballet teachers. When I was young I was at the studios a lot of the time; I loved to watch the older girls dance classes - they really inspired me. It was great that my mum could teach me, too, as she was always there to help me practice. In 2010 my auntie sold the studio and since then I've danced at two different schools, so i have experienced a whole range of dance styles I guess.

Dance requires a big commitment - I have four classes a week which can be quite tiring. As well as regular classes, we work towards examinations, shows, festivals and competitions thoughout the year which can be exciting and lots of fun! A few weeks ago I finished a performance of Peter Pan with my dance studio which was an amazing experience. I LOVE shows as the costumes and make up are always amazing and I love the thrill of dancing onstage in front of hundreds of people. We take exams every now and then too, which can be nerve wracking but give me a real sense of achievement when I get my results and move up a new grade!

I have always had an ambition to have a future in dance because it is definitely the thing I love best. One day I'd love to have my own dance studio like my auntie did, and teach children the magic of ballet and inspire them to have dreams like I do. I'd love to help budding ballerinas to achieve their goals. I would also love to perhaps travel the world teaching dance and help those not as fortunate as myself to achieve and aspire. Dance has helped me to grow in confidence as a person and whenever I do it, it makes me happy. I am very grateful for receiving the gift of dance - I honestly don't know what I'd do without it!


Do YOU dream of dancing, like Maddy? COMMENT BELOW to tell us what you think... and check out my new e-book mini, HOPES & DREAMS: JODIE'S STORY, set in a dance school... available now from the amazon kindle store!

10 comments:

  1. If I could get a career out of Just Dance that would be awesome. I probably could be a real dancer if I took lessons but my weekly routine has no space for me to go to regular classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do dance but I might like to try...
    Also,reading through the new e-book mini is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do every type of dancing (except ballet). You name it tap, modern, jazz........I could go on it is my fourth year at all of them and I love it. We recently did exams which was exciting, but the most annoying thing is we did them almost two months ago and still no results. I suppose you can't get everything your way!!! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do dance mainly pop and jazz though I used to go to ballet classes but I got bored when I was about seven or eight

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been doing dancing since i was 6ish. I used to do tap but then i quit because i didn't like it. But now i do ballet and modern jazz which is really fun and i'm about to do my grade 2. Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been through a lot of hobbies since a young age - but I've actually been through four phases of dancing, and it has kind of stuck because I'm doing it now! I did ballet at 3, ballroom at 6 and now I'm doing theatre dance. I absolutely love it. When I dance, I feel so free! I have danced in quite a few shows now, professional ones too! Please visit my blog (click my name) if you'd like to find out more about the shows I've done :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to dance, but there are no classes for beginners of my age...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd LOVE to dance, but I can't find any classes nearby that are for beginners of my age...
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...