Monday 19 May 2014

THE ART OF COOL CAKERY...

Reader Izzy, age thirteen, has launched her own business designing and making the coolest cakes ever... read on to find out more!

Izzy says:
I started off going to a cake decorating class at a local cookery school; my teacher makes cakes for a living and I've always been fascinated with her amazing creations! After a year of learning new techniques I felt confident enough to start making birthday cakes for my friends and family. Their reactions really boosted my confidence to start trying more designs!

I got my first ever commission about six months ago and ever since I've been busy doing birthday cakes, wedding cupcakes and celebration cakes! I love it because it's fun, relaxing (sometimes!) and I love dreaming up designs for new cakes! The  hardest cake I've ever had to do was the fishing cake I did for somebody's birthday; it was fiddly and took forever because so much detail was needed! The cake I'm most proud of is my 100 years joint anniversary cake made for a family event. It's quite vintage - I think Skye Tanberry would approve!

When I get a cake order through I search the internet for inspiration and then develop those ideas to create my own design; I can always imagine how I want the cake to turn out. I decided to launch the cake making as a small business as I wanted to venture into getting bigger orders and because I just love cake decorating! When I'm older I plan to go on taking commissions and I'd also love to travel around America for inspiration and to look at the bakeries, as they have great bakeries and cake decorators over there!

My advice to anyone who'd like to try cake decorating is to take a class and learn some techniques. Then start by making cakes for friends and family and watch it develop from there! Also keep practicing! Just remember, never give up; cake decorating takes a while to get the hang of, but once you've got the skill you will always have it!

You can check out Izzy's Facebook Page here... 



Cathy says:
Wow... I think Izzy is amazingly talented and enterprising for thirteen - how cool? COMMENT BELOW to share your thoughts on Izzy's awesome business or to tell me about any hobbies YOU have developed into something more... 

11 comments:

  1. When you press to go to her website it takes to to the dreamcatcher homepage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for spotting - have fixed the link now! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thats really cool. I can do something similar but not as good but in a few months i'm going to do food fest including a day with a sugar-craft instructor, who knows maybe one day i could become like izzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 13?! When I was 13, I wanted to be a cat! Most cakey modelling I've done is either my marzipan models or a tiger cupcake I made at a school fĂȘte. I got halfway down the road and one of his ears fell off. Not quite ready to start my own business yet. Izzy doesn't have to worry about competition from me.
    Blue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I've always wanted to take professional cake decor lessons. I did make my birthday cake specially designed as my YouTube symbol but the food colouring sank into the fondant so I would love to learn how to do that properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recomend using gel colour next time as it mixes better. What i do is put some gel colour/colouring in the fondnant/icing then fold it over a bit and roll it in my hands but you need to add flour to the icing (only a bit) to make it firmer. Hope this helped. Blondie

      Delete
  6. I love cake decorating: I wanted to take part in a cake-decorating class close to where I live! But I didn't know that you had to book a place to participate, so I sort of went to there and ended up catching the bus back home... Luckily, my mum came to the rescue and told me that I could bake and decorate some cupcakes at home!
    I hope Izzy continues with her cake selling (and baking)! She is so imaginative and enterprising to do this at the age of THIRTEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cakes, they´re are really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not one for decorating cakes, but I've become quite good at making the cakes! I can bake any kind of cake, and my favourite one is chocolate pound cake! However, my proudest creation was my chocolate lava cake....
    Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG those look AMAZING! Keep up the fab work!

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...