Sunday 18 May 2014

EMMA: I WANTED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Seventeen year old Emma was so upset by the kidnapping of the 274 Nigerian schoolgirls recently that she vowed to do something to help...

Emma says:
I live in a small town in Australia and go to a little school called Orara High, where I'm lucky enough to be school captain. When I heard of the ordeal of the Nigerian schoolgirls, I was appalled... not just at the kidnapping but at the lack of news coverage it received. I wanted to help - I started putting my opinion out there on social media, but it didn't seem like enough.

I met with the student council and knew they were feeling upset and helpless too; that's when this project was born. I left the meeting determined to make something happen and to give my classmates a voice and show the nigerian girls that people all over the world are thinking of them. A video seemed perfect. Within two hours, I had spoken to the principal, sorted the permission notes and hired the cameras. I had no time to waste; we needed to get the message out there as soon as possible. The video has three aims: to send our support to the Nigerian girls and their families; to raise awareness of human rights issues; and to show we are unhappy with the lack of coverage this incident has been given.

I was amazed by the support of students and teachers at school and also in awe of the many strangers who have seen the video and shared it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, to get the message out there to the world that we CARE about these girls and their wellbeing, education and rights. I'd like to thank everyone who has watched, shred or liked the video... if you haven't seen it, please do watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvnXbVVeqc0

The fight is not over; we cannot stop spreading the word until every one of the girls is returned home safe. Every small act counts in the greater act of bringing back our girls.

Cathy says:
Please watch - and share - Emma's video... it's so, so powerful. Would YOU like to be a part of a special #BringBackOurGirls slideshow? Send a pic of yourself holding the #BringBackOurGirls message (like mine, right,)  here or scroll back through recent DREAMCATCHER posts to see my recent post about the Nigerian schoolgirls, find their names and write one of them a letter of support. (Send in a pic of your letter for the slideshow!) Be inspired by Emma... and reach out a hand of friendship to the kidnapped girls. 

COMMENT BELOW to have your say...

5 comments:

  1. Such a good idea! Your support should be exemplary for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Support like this really goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just watched it, long story short I'm in tears I think I'm going to drown in my tears that's an amazing idea :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you Emma, with a head and a heart like yours you will go far an achieve many (more) great things in your life :)

    I think it is so important as people and as women to stand up against injustices like this and be heard. Adokiye, a Nigerian pop star, offered herself up as a sacrifice to the terrorists who took the girls in exchange for getting them back.

    That is a huge sacrifice for a wonderful cause, but hopefully, one day, that won't even be something anyone needs to consider because injustices like these won't happen.

    Until then, I'll keep fighting with you :)

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...