Tuesday 19 August 2014

SUMMER STYLE REPORT: FLOWER CROWNS!

Flower crowns are everywhere this summer… but can you wear them? Our style reporter Manda checks out what the shops have on offer to help you choose wisely!

Pic one…
Manda says:
Possibly my favourite out of all of these… I just loved the colours! They remind me a bit of crocuses in springtime! The little leaves make a nice contrast, too. I always like when flower crowns have leaves and not just flowers - it looks more authentic and natural that way!

Cathy says:
Perfect colours for Manda… lots of summery flower-power without being too in-your-face! A perfect pick for any occasion!

Pic two…
Manda says:
Not really one of my favourites! The colours are a little bit plain for my tastes and I think I might have liked it better if the flowers were more evenly spread around the whole thing… but it's still pretty! I might be wrong, but I can kind of picture it looking better on someone with bigger/ curlier hair...

Cathy says:
The colours really suit Manda and the flowers are focused in the centre of the crown for more of a tiara effect, which might suit you if you don't think you can carry off a full-on flower crown. There's just a whiff of the bridesmaid about this one, though, so don't team it with pastel frills or you'll be mistaken for a flower-girl!


Pic three…
Manda says:
I kind of like this, but I probably wouldn't wear it too often purely because of the size of the thing! The colours are nice and it could work for festival wear or fancy dress (if you're being some sort of floral… queen… person? Or, like the spirit of summer or something! Or even a chocolate fairy, perchance!) For everyday wear, though… a bit too much, even for me!

Cathy says:
Great colours for Manda, but this is a dramatic flower-crown and it requires confidence to wear it well! One to save for a special occasion when dressing up is part of the fun!



Pic four...
Manda says:
I really quite like the shape of the flowers and the colour id lovely… but at the same time, the idea of green flowers doesn't seem entirely natural! I might possibly like it better if there was at least one more colour to go with the green, just for variety, but still… it's pretty!

Cathy says:
Manda, like the style-star she is, has been very complimentary about this, but… I can't agree. No, no, no… the colours don't compliment Manda's complexion and the flowers are verging on the triffid-like… this is not a winner for me. It reminds me of the hideous flowery rubber swimming caps you used to get back in the 70s and 80s… shudder! Even your Great Aunt Enid might draw the line at this...

Pic five…
Manda says:
I like this one because of the pure hippieness of it! It wasn't my favourite, but it made an interesting change, and the colours are really nice too. And it's not too loud or over the top, so could easily be worn for all sorts of different occasions!

Cathy says:
The perfect compromise if you're not sure about the flower-crown craze… a cute, simple, hippy-chick headband. This could be a good buy as it will last long after the flower-crown fashion has faded and gone, and it goes with just about anything. Just add sunshine for instant summer sparkle!




Cathy says:
Your turn… which flower crown do YOU like best? COMMENT BELOW to cast your vote… are there any fans of the green one out there? 
;o)

3 comments:

  1. I'm personally not a fan of flower crowns - why buy fake ones, when you can make them out of real daisies? I do like the last one though, it's not too empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 5th one and the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...