Thursday 21 August 2014

THE SUMMER OF SEEING BLUE...

Reader Caitlin describes her summer of experiments with hair colour… would YOU dare?

Caitlin says:
This summer I wanted to dye my hair a bit of an oddball colour. Knowing that semi-permanent colours are not the easiest things to get out of your hair, I wanted a temporary colour - plus, my school uniform rules insist that hair is a 'natural' colour, so if yours is similar and you feel like experimenting, I suggest you go for temporary too!

I was looking for a colour in Boots and found a new brand of temporary colour called Bleach; they didn't have a lot of choice, but back home I went onto the website and read some reviews and drooled over all the amazing colours. In the past, hair colour has not been my best friend. I once dyed my hair with henna, like DIZZY at the end of the book, on her mum's last day. The packet said the henna would last for eight weeks… but it stayed in my hair for months! I asked my mum if she was OK with my dyeing my hair and what she thought about the colours I'd found. She agreed, and the next day we went to buy the colour along with some hair toner; this lightens your hair without totally stripping out the colour. I chose a dye called 'Washed Up Mermaid' because let's face it, secretly there is only one girl who DOESN'T want to be a mermaid and that is The Little Mermaid.

Mum agreed to help with the dyeing as it's a pain to dye your own hair. We applied the toner, let it sit for the recommended time and then rinsed it off. We then applied the colour. We left it on for slightly longer than the suggested time to be sure the colour stuck. Sadly, the first attempt didn't really come out well but a second attempt next day worked - the colour was a silvery-green and I was as mermaid-y as anyone could wish! The colour lasted a month, and then I removed it by applying dandruff shampoo to dry hair and rinsing it out.

I was soon fed up with my natural hair again, so I chose a new colour and picked up two bottles of it. I didn't need to buy more toner this time, as the effects of the toner are quite long-lasting. We repeated the process and the colour was very strong and vibrant… I dried it with a hairdryer for that Cookie Monster look! When I went to visit my gran, she thought the blue colour was my attempt to support the 'yes' vote for Scottish independence. I nodded and let her think it was a political stance and not just a thirteen year old with a love of strange hair…

Caitlin used BLEACH brand temporary dye, available from Boots.
(Note: always follow hair dye instructions carefully and do a strand test to make sure you are not allergic to the colour.)

Cathy says:
Would YOU ever dye your hair? If so, would you go blonde, auburn, black… or something more rainbow-hued? What would your school say if they saw it? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

10 comments:

  1. I think if I dyed my hair I'd dye it blue or dark red. My school is not strict about dyed hair and lots of people have colourful hair which is cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never experiment with hair dye. Experiment is such a short term word and I always keep my hair colour for a significant amount of time. I had purple hair for a year, black hair for two years, bleach blonde hair for nearly two years, blue hair for half a year, pink hair for a year then back to blue which I've had for two years now. No experimenting for me, just long term commitment. My school said they didn't accept unnatural hairstyles or colours but when I stomped in with a blue mohawk, I think they were too scared to stop me! Oh, that's worrying. I'm strongly against Scottish Independence - I just like the colour blue! I hope people don't make snap judgements based on my hair colour. It's the same reason I can't go to Glasgow because Celtic fans will think I'm a Rangers supporter and beat me up. People assume the oddest things about you based simply on the colour of your hair. Anyway, because Caitlin looks so lovely with blue hair, I'll forgive her for having the same name and hair colour as me. Word of advice to anyone who wants to dye their hair crazy colours - Renbow's Crazy Colors dye is SO bright. Especially Pinkissimo, the pink colour I used. I buy it at Sally'sbut I tthink it's cheaper online. Renbow have other types of dye (Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer) that have been highly praised by people although I've never used them myself.
    Blue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used directions pink once and it showed up really bright on the two streaks of hair i died as i have blonde hair but unfortunately i went that year to greece and it came off in the swimming pool. Blondie

      Delete
    2. It's a good brand, very vibrant but the dye does wash out quickly. I like your name, Blondie. Aside from the fact that Blondie are an awesome band, I'm always pleased to meet others who are named after their hair colour.
      Blue. :-)

      Delete
  3. Most probably I will dye my hair blonde with pink highlights if I could. I mean that would be pretty cool! But my school is quite strict with the rules of your hair color and I don't have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is really cool my school have strict rules about hair but I might try it in the holidays thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been considering dying my hair recently, my Mum suggested it while she was in hospital recently, my Dad always being the one who said I could never dye my hair I am now free to dye it what ever colour I desire! I have been thinking about a soft pink shade, or blonde with pink dipped ends. My school only allows natural hair shades, so I would have to dye it with semi permanent dye...something to think about anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I ever dyed my hair, I would just dye it dusty rose at the tips, as I already have black hair, and I think it would look quite cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idear I think I will try it a soon as possible
    Love the idear

    ReplyDelete
  8. i recommend the hair chalks from the body shop they come in pink and blue and I have both at home. They r really good u simply swipe the block of hair chalk on a part of ur hair and spray hairspray on top to keep it in and it comes out with shampoo. Hamdi:)xxx

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...